Acera, the Massachusetts School of Science, Creativity and Leadership, is a progressive non-profit STEAM school serving high-ability students in grades K through 8th. At Acera, students learn by ability, not age; in a supportive, engaging environment, enabled by highly motivated, experienced teacher-entrepreneurs.
Our mission is to:
- Engage each child in project-based, contextual learning across disciplines.
- Inspire students to become the problem-solvers, innovators, creative thinkers and leaders of tomorrow.
- Create a microcosm of what is possible in education.
- Engage communities in a new dialogue about innovation, creativity and joy in STEAM education.
Acera was founded in 2010 with 30 students. In 2013, the school purchased a permanent home at 5 Lowell Ave in Winchester and currently serves 125 students. Our state-of-the-art facility includes a MakerSpace and a fully equipped science lab.
Throughout the year, we offer many engaging events open to the public, like our Innovator Symposium and open forums. We also participate in the Cambridge Science Festival, and bring our programs to communities through periodic programs at public libraries, teacher training conferences, and through newly emerging partnerships with public schools.
- School hours 8:45 am – 3:00 pm; available after school programs extend to 6:00 pm
- Location: Winchester, MA